Sunday, 24 September 2017

Well I suppose it is time to make a start. For the  last few  years  , three may be four I have been caring for my wife  who was  suffering from a rare neurological  illness called progressive  supra nuclear  palsy  . It probably manifested itself   a few  years   previously  but it was  along time  before we got a diagnosis . I am not going into the  ins  and outs of the illness  but just to say it was  devastating  as it robbed my wife  of the ability to do anything . It was totally  time consuming being her  full time  carer  and now  sadly she has died  and at the age of 74  , I have to face life without my partner of over  fifty years . I have to make a new start  and deal with things that I have never thought about . So I have decided to chronicle my progress  as best I can .
But where to start , there are so many emotions which cascade over one  , like repeating waterfalls . The grieving process  is overwhelming . Apart  from missing my wife  Veronica  dreadfully ( and I would give anything to have her back although I know that is  selfish of me  as her quality of life was miserable ) I feel a great emptiness . I feel as though I am living in a vacuum waiting for something to happen  yet  knowing that the only things  that will happen are things which I instigate . Yet I have no will or desire to instigate anything . Even as I write  my eyes  fill with tears  , some for my wife  and some  for me  and the huge loneliness that I now  face .
Each morning I wake early  half expecting  , no in fact expecting to hear the movements of the night carers  getting ready to write up their note prior to leaving . But  as I come out of my fitful night's sleep there is nothing , silence . I get up  just the  same even though there is no urgency to start the  day , really there is no urgency left in any part of my life . For the past four years I have been governed by the  caring routine , meals  washing , dressing , medication  and so on now there is nothing for me to do  and it is  frightening .Breakfast and getting the day under way  took two hours or so  now I am done in  a few minutes  and the long day stretches  ahead like a blank canvass . What shall I paint ? I don't know .
"Early days ' people say to me , "it's all very raw " . I am sure they are right  but does it help , not really .I know  that I have got to make an effort  and step outside and rejoin the  world but at the moment I can't  I just want to curl up and die , The silence is deafening - I will do it , I have to but not today .

3 comments:

  1. Hi,
    All best wishes to you from someone who has CBD. I will try to update you from time to time on my 'Progress'
    Patrick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As always you write so evocatively.
    We look forward to coming here.
    Waiving to you and wishing you the best
    Liz and Kevin

    ReplyDelete